Configure Stripe for ConfTool Pro
The payment service “Stripe” is available to organizers in many countries in the western hemisphere and allows them to receive credit card payments from any country. Receiving payments via “Stripe” requires a Stripe merchant account. The account is free, there are no monthly or setup fees, but Stripe charges payment fees per successful charge as listed on the Stripe website (usually 1.4% to 2.9% of the payment amount plus €0.30).
The following steps describe how to set up a Stripe account and how to link it to your ConfTool Pro installation.
1. How to Create a New Stripe Account
Creating a Stripe account is straightforward: Please go to https://dashboard.stripe.com/ to start the process. Click on “Sign up” (image 1), enter your account details (e-mail and password), and click the button to create the new account (image 2). You will receive an automatic e-mail with a web address that you need to open in your web browser to confirm your e-mail address and Stripe account (image 3).
2. Activation and Configuration of your Stripe Account
After logging in to your Stripe account, you see the “Stripe Dashboard”. Please note that Stripe has a “test mode” and a “live mode”. Only in live mode payments will be processed; in “test mode”, payments will not be processed. To switch between both modes, use the button in the upper left corner (see image 6).
The next step is the activation of your account. To do so, please switch Stripe from test mode to live mode. A confirmation window appears (image 4), and after confirming it, you will be asked for several personal details (address, phone and tax numbers etc.) and your reference bank account information. This is required to allow Stripe to process payments on behalf of you and to transfer the funds to your account (image 5). Your account will be activated after having filled in this form.
3. Linking Stripe to ConfTool Pro
Two “API keys” (“Secret Key” and “Publishable Key”) are required to link ConfTool Pro to your Stripe account. To access these keys, please select the menu item “Account Settings” in the upper right corner of the dashboard (see image 6). A menu appears that allows you to access your account information (see image 7), the API keys (see image 8), your bank reference account information (see image 9) as well as other data.
Important: Stripe provides two sets of keys: “test keys” and “live keys”. Use the test keys in ConfTool Pro for testing purposes and the live keys for live mode. You will also find a test / live mode switch in Stripe in the left upper corner of the dashboard. The setting of this switch does not determine the payment mode for ConfTool Pro, which is only determined by the type of API keys you use (test or live), but it only switches between the display of the recorded payment results in Stripe.
Now please open another browser window and log in to your ConfTool Pro installation as administrative user and go to the page:
Overview => Settings => Manage Payment Options
Scroll down to “Payment via Stripe” (see image 10) and:
- Set "Enable Stripe Checkout" to Yes.
- Enter a short payment description (Usually your conference abbreviation and the ID of the user, to identify the payments). Example: “Event 2015, ID %1”. The parameter %1 will be replaced by the ID of the ConfTool user. Please note that this description has to be kept short.
- Enter the “secret key” and the “publishable key” from your Stripe account (see image 8). You can use the test key pair if you first want to test how the system works, but usually it is safe to use the live keys right away and do a test payment in live mode only.
Please remember: If you use the test keys, payments will not be processed, if you use the live keys, payments will be processed.
4. Making a Stripe Payment for Testing Purposes
Finally, please test your configuration and your live Stripe account by processing/paying a small amount (e.g. €1.00) using your personal credit card. First, please register a test user as a participant in ConfTool Pro, and log in to this user’s account (e.g. using “login as”). Now you should see the stripe payment button on the user’s overview page. After clicking the button, a payment window appears where you can enter your card details.
If the payment was successful, the payment should appear within seconds in the “Stripe Dashboard” (remember to use the test/live mode switch to change to the correct view). It takes about 7 days until the amount (minus the payment fees) is credited to your bank account.
- Please also have a look at our general information about receiving credit card payments.
- We always recommend to offer bank transfer as payment method, too, as this is usually the cheapest payment method for local participants (or EU participants if you are within the Eurozone.)
- Please note that ConfTool GmbH has no business connection to Stripe. Still, if you encounter any problems, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- If you want to try the system in test mode, please do not use real credit card details, but the following test cards:
- 4111 1111 1111 1111 (Payment will be successful)
- 4000 0000 0000 0002 (Card will be declined)
- 4000 0000 0000 0341 (Payment exception, card will also be declined).
5. Identity verification required for Stripe account
After you have received one or more payments, or after some time, Stripe (like all other payment providers) will ask you for "identity verification". This is required by the anti-money laundering laws of most countries. To identify yourself, you have to upload scanned images of the front and back side of your ID, passport or driving license. We recommend that you already prepare this information / these images when you open your Stripe account. With the ID card, the owner of the Stripe Account will be verified. You can go live even before your identity has been verified, but failure to prove identity might result in the termination of the contract with Stripe.