Overview and details of the sessions of this conference. Please select a date or location to show only sessions at that day or location. Please select a single session for detailed view (with abstracts and downloads if available).
Natl. Data Service: Building a National Data Service
9:00am - 10:30am
Location:Room 233 100
Building a National Data Service
Dom Fripp1, Alan MacKenzie2, Tom Demeranville3, John Paul Kaye1, Finlay McCourt2, Paul Mollahan2
1Jisc, United Kingdom; 2Digirati, United Kingdom; 3ORCiD, EU
This workshop we will introduce attendees to a number of tools and techniques based on the approaches used for the delivery of the Jisc Research Data Shared Service (RDSS) project. RDSS delivered a new Software as a Service (SaaS) product to solve institutional research data management challenges at an national scale.
We will explore the product management and software engineering challenges faced during delivery of the new service and briefly introduce attendees to the challenges of research data management (RDM).
Using the story of RDSS we will take attendees through a number of techniques and tools, explaining the challenges and advantages of their use as well as providing hands on tutorials and guidance, including:
- Modelling the requirements of the system with UML.
- Complex research object modelling
- Using cloud services to create he system architecture needed to ensure interoperability between a number of research systems. These systems including Hyrax/Samvera, Figshare, Archviematica and Preservica.
- How to integrate scholarly communications systems, such as ORCiD into research systems.
- Message based integration and how to integrate repository, preservation, scholarly communications and external research and administrative systems with RDSS.
- A tutorial on how to build a message based adaptor.